Dog Registrations


It is a requirement of the Western Australian Dog Act 1976 that all dogs over the age of three months be registered. Dogs can be registered at the Town’s Administration Centre, where you will be issued a current registration tag that is to be worn by the dog at all times when in a public place.

Dog owners will now notice they will be able to register their dog for a Lifetime, this is to bring the Dog Act 1976 in line with the Cat Act 2011.  

Registration fees:

Unsterilised  $50.00  $120.00  $250.00
Sterilised  $20.00  $42.50  $100.00


Eligible Pensioners are eligible for a 50% discount to the applicable fee but must provide a current Pensioner Concession Card, State Pensioner Concession Card, Veteran’s Pensioner Card (not a Veteran's Health Card) or a Senior’s Card together with a Commonwealth Senior’s Health Card as proof of eligibility.

Proof of sterilisation is required, and is usually provided by a Veterinary Surgeon’s Certificate, or from a Microchip Data Base Company Certificate, or by a Ranger viewing the tattoo on the animal's ear or (if applicable) from a Dog Refuge/Pound or Cat Haven.

As of 1 November 2015 all dogs are required to be micro-chipped. You will be required to provide a micro-chip number upon registration of your dog.  All new dogs, that is pups and other dogs being registered for the first time, and dogs where ownership is changing will need to be micro-chipped. Dogs that are already registered with the Town are also now required to be micro-chipped as of 1 November 2015.

To download a new Registration Form, please click here


Apart from being a legal requirement for all dogs to be micro-chipped, it should be noted that micro-chipping of pet animals is a safe and effective method of ensuring that, if these animals become lost, it is an easy process to reunite them with their owners.
The benefits are:

  •  The insertion of the chip, under the skin is a quick and painless procedure
  •  The microchip cannot fall out
  •  The microchip will remain “active” for the life of the animal
  •  The procedure only takes a few seconds; and
  •  Your pet can be identified immediately.

Under the Dog Act, there are 7 authorised microchip database companies. You must ensure that your dog is registered with one of the companies listed below:

  •  Royal Agricultural Society of NSW (ABN 69 793 644 351), trading as “Australasian Animal Registry” Ph: 02 9704 1450;
  •  Central Animal Records (Aust) Pty Ltd Ph: 03 9706 3187;
  •  PetBase Pty Ltd, trading as “Petsafe” Ph: 02 8850 6800;
  •  HomeSafeID Ph: 1300 537 140;
  •  The Lost Dogs Home Inc., trading as “National Pet Register” Ph: 1300 734 738;
  •  OzChase Greyhound Racing System;
  •  Global Microchip Registry Pty Ltd, trading as “Global Micro Animal Registry”.

Impounding of your Dog

If your dog is picked up by a Town Ranger, we will ensure we do our best to return the dog to you prior to impounding.  You have a higher chance that your dog will be returned to you if, your dog is wearing its registration tag, is micro-chipped or has a “contact tag” on with your details. Please ensure the Town has your most up to date contact information including an emergency contact person and their contact details by completing the Town's online 'Update of Animal Ownership Details Form'. 

Should your dog be impounded by the Town, we use the services of the “Dog’s Refuge Home” located at 30 Lemons Street, Shenton Park Ph: 9381 8166.  

Limitation on the number of dogs

The Town of Mosman Park Local Law Relating to Dogs allows you to keep no more than two dogs over the age of three months.

Households must apply for permission to keep more than two dogs by sending an application to the Town outlining the reasons why they wish to keep more than the required number of dogs.

A fee of $250.00 + GST applies to the application which is non refundable should the application be rejected.

To begin your application, please contact the Town Ranger Services in the first instance on 9384 1633.

Barking Dogs

The Town of Mosman Park Ranger Services fully appreciates that a barking dog can often severely disrupt people's lives, and erode their quality of life.  However, the treatment, and solution for a barking dog is often a lengthy, difficult and complex issue to deal with. 
The laws relating to an alleged dog nuisance are prescribed by State Legislation, and Local Authorities are bound to follow that process. Most aggrieved parties want 'immediate action'; the reality is that dog nuisance complaints are difficult to resolve, for a number of reasons, which may include:

  • Barking is very subjective, with many different interpretations as to what is a nuisance.  The degree of annoyance, therefore, varies with the location of the dog, and the tolerance of the complainant.
  • It is extremely difficult to collect reliable and permanent evidence of the frequency, and loudness of a dog's barking.
  • A barking complaint may in some cases be one aspect of the neighbourly dispute; therefore, the standard of evidence from the complaints has to be of a high level, and takes time to gather.
  • Dog owners are seldom bothered by their own dogs barking, and are often unaware that it is causing a nuisance to others.  Some dog owners also have difficulty in believing that their dog barks excessively.  This is usually because the dog barks, when the owners are out, and when they return home the dog stops barking, or decreases it's barking to a more acceptable level.

For the reasons listed above, it is therefore extremely important that the aggrieved party approach the dog owner as soon as the dog/s barking becomes a nuisance.
This is the best solution to a dog barking problem, as in the vast majority of cases, if the complainant approaches the dog owner in a courteous, informative and neighbourly fashion, both parties can work together to solve their problem.
If you feel unable to approach your neighbour directly, then you should consider writing them a polite letter, stating the effects the dog/s barking is having on you.
The letter should not be anonymous, as this often leads to bad feeling, and causes a breakdown in communications.  You should also retain a copy of the letter for future reference and evidential purposes.

If these steps have been taken and after a reasonable time the nuisance is continuing; or you are unable to approach or write to the dog’s owner, you are required to substantiate the allegation in writing to the Town of Mosman Park.
Once the allegation has been reviewed you will be issued with a “Barking Diary” and requested to assist in collecting the necessary evidence. These diaries need to be as accurate as possible for a period of 14 days in the first instance. These diaries should be completed if the approach to the dog owner has not been successful. The first week of diaries must be forwarded to the Council Rangers Section within 14 days in order that the complaint can be further investigated.  To download a "Barking Diary" that you can use to record nuisance barking, click here

Click here to view the Dog Act 1976 to see what constitutes a nuisance. Refer to Division 4 — Control of nuisance, page 80.


Dog Excrement

Local laws require that the dog owner/s, or person/s in control of the dog, be responsible for the removal of excrement from any street or public place - as well as private property used without the consent of the occupier.

Please be aware of your responsibilities as a dog owner and carry a plastic bag or pooper scooper. Bags are located at Parks around the Town.  Please be considerate - although cleaning up is not a pleasant task, most owners would agree it is preferable to banning dogs from our Parks.

Restricted Breed Dog Laws

Under new restrictions, owners of restricted breed dogs in Western Australia were required from 22 April 2002 to follow similar provisions as those that apply to dogs declared dangerous.  These measures include adequate identification of such dogs and properties where they are kept, stringent fencing requirements, muzzling and restraining at all times in public and age restrictions for owners and handlers.  Further details can be obtained from the "Laws for Responsible Dog Ownership" brochure available from Council offices, or  follow this link to the WA Rangers website.

Moving out of the Town, Lost/Stolen or Deceased Pet

When a dog is sold, re-homed, lost/stolen or deceased, it is the registered owner's responsibility to provide the Town with this information within 28 days.
Please download this form and submit through to

If your family are moving house within the State of WA, your pet’s current registration remains valid, however, you must advise your previous Council of the change and also contact your Microchip Data Base Company within 7 days to update the animal and owner's details.  It is important that your details are accurate and up todate.


Waterwise council

National Relay Service

People who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment can call the Town of Mosman Park through the National Relay Service.

Find out more ...

Solar Power at the Administration

The Town of Mosman Park has installed solar panels (photo voltaic cells) on the roof of the Administration building. We’re producing power and reducing carbon emissions.

Find out how much ...