Cat Registrations

Responsible cat ownership

From 1 November 2013 all domestic cats 6 months and older are required to:

• Be sterilised;
• Be micro-chipped;
• Be registered with the local council where the cat is ordinarily kept; and
• Wear a registration tag, issued by the local government where the cat was registered.

To download a new Registration Form, please click here

Please Note: If your cat is found in or on another person’s property, the property owner may request an Authorised Officer (Ranger) to impound the cat and remove it from the property.

If the cat has not been sterilised or micro-chipped, the owner of that cat commits an offence. Cat owners that are not compliant with these requirements, after 1 November 2013 may be liable to fines of up to $5,000.

Under certain circumstances, an exemption can be granted by your vet permitting your cat to not be sterilised or micro chipped. The Town will require documentation from your vet advising that the procedure would have a negative effect on your cat's health.


Registration fees:

Standard $20.00 $42.50 $100.00


Pensioners are eligible for a 50% discount to the applicable fee but must provide a current Pensioner Concession Card, State Concession Card, Veteran’s Card or a Senior’s Card together with a Commonwealth Senior’s Health Card as proof of eligibility.



Apart from being a legal requirement for all cats to be sterilised and micro-chipped as of 1 November 2013, it should be noted that micro-chipping of pet animals is a safe and effective method of ensuring that, if these animals become lost, it is an easy process to reunite them with their owners.

The benefits are:
• The insertion of the chip, under the skin is a quick and painless procedure
• The microchip cannot fall out
• The microchip will remain “active” for the life of the animal
• The procedure only takes a few seconds; and
• Your pet can be identified immediately.

Under the Cat Act, there are 6 authorised microchip database companies. You must ensure that your cat is registered with one of them.

• Central Animal Records (Aust) Pty Ltd
• HomesafeID
• Petsafe
• Australasian Animal Registry
• National Pet Register, and
• Global Microchip Registry Pty Ltd (trading as Global Micro Animal Registry).


Breeding Cats

The legislation requires that a person who chooses to breed cats must apply to their local government for a permit. When a cat is sold, the seller must ensure the cat is micro-chipped and sterilised prior to transfer. If the cat cannot be sterilised due to its young age, a voucher must be issued to the new owner.

Only approved breeders will be exempt from sterilisation laws.

Some further facts regarding your cat:

• Only 2 cats are permitted to be registered to a property
• Only a registered cat breeder may have an unsterilised cat
• All cats must be micro chipped, sterilised and registered
• There is an option for lifetime registration of a cat

For more information on the Cat Act visit

Moving out of the Town, Lost/Stolen or Deceased Pet

When a cat is sold, re-homed, lost/stolen or deceased, it is the registered owner's responsibility to provide the Town with this information within 28 days. 

Please complete this form and submit through to

If your family are moving house within the State of WA, your pet’s current registration remains valid, however, you must advise your old Council of the change and obtain a new registration tag form your new council.


Waterwise council

National Relay Service

People who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment can call the Town of Mosman Park through the National Relay Service.

Find out more ...

Solar Power at the Administration

The Town of Mosman Park has installed solar panels (photo voltaic cells) on the roof of the Administration building. We’re producing power and reducing carbon emissions.

Find out how much ...